How to Sustain Motivation and Achieve Lasting Change
Join us for this reward-eligible webinar, which is part of the monthly series of emotional well-being webinars offered by FEAP and Hoos Well, UVA's award-winning employee well-being program.
The new year is upon us, and for many the desire to make positive change is beginning to brew. The idea of change can be confusing, difficult, and anxiety provoking. However, implementing change can be rewarding, empowering, and exciting. This webinar is designed to assist you in:
- Curating approach-oriented goals, utilizing the spirit of Motivational Interviewing as a guide
- Identifying the need for change
- Investigating personal barriers to change
- Learning new ways to implement lasting change
Through this reward-eligible webinar, you will learn about:
- The process of change and how to use the five stages of change to identify and track your progress
- The role motivation plays in achieving positive, lasting change
- Defense mechanisms and their role in sabotaging motivation
- The concepts of expectancy, valance, and instrumentality, and how these concepts can work together to enhance your motivation and support lasting change
About your presenter
Cynthia Betts, LCSW, has experience in a variety of clinical settings including residential treatment, partial hospitalization, and (intensive) outpatient treatment. She has served adult and child survivors of domestic assault, children with neurodevelopmental disabilities and delays, refugees, and individuals and families impacted by substance use disorders. Cynthia has also served as a fellow with the Virginia Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities program. While experienced in a variety of therapeutic interventions, she specializes in Motivational Interviewing, experiential therapies, and Rational Behavior Therapy. Cynthia is passionate about supporting individuals and family systems in recovery and is skilled in family addiction education.