Elder Caregiving is the process of helping to care for our elderly relatives or friends.
This might be during an unexpected health crisis or more long term through the normal course of aging. Depending on the resources and abilities of the adult children involved in this process, the caregiver may provide physical care or assist with decision making and planning.
Regardless, there are many emotional, social, financial, legal, medical, and logistical issues associated with each step of caregiving and there are no right and wrong answers because each person’s needs, desires, and resources are different.
An Aging Life Specialist, formerly Geriatric Care Manager, is available to meet with the employee and/or family member about their specific concerns and provide concrete resource information, help with problem solving, develop some long-term care plans or just talk things over.
The Caregiver Support Group meets the second Tuesday of each month. Contact Brenda Wilson, LCSW, CEAP, Aging Life Specialist at (434) 243-2643 if interested in more information.
Whether your elders are local or long distance, FEAP can help.
- Consultation and Assessment of the employee’s caregiving situation by a LCSW experienced in all aspects of eldercare. These free and confidential appointments can be scheduled to look at the physical care needs, family supports, financial resources, legal needs, long-term care plans and emotional issues raised by the caregiving process;
- Identification of the most pressing concerns, problem-solving, and short and long-term care planning can be addressed;
- Provision of concrete information about local, state and national resources;
- Information about the world of facility based care (independent Living, Assisted Living, etc) and those estimated costs;
- Brief individual and/or family counseling around elder caregiving issues;
- Telephone consultation for specific questions, concerns or referral needs is available.
- Information and assistance accessing the Backup Care Options Program for your work life balance needs while caregiving (available to UPG, Medical Center, and UVA employees)